Area still benefits from its natural resources
The area’s natural resources have played a significant role in the Brainerd Lakes Area’s historical development and growth. That hasn’t changed. Natural resources continue to impact the local economy.
• Iron ore mining – Many of the mines in Crosby have been restored and serve as a recreational paradise.
• Timber – The area has vast forests of hardwoods and conifers.
• Manganese – A locally discovered deposit, the Brainerd Lakes Area may have the richest concentration in the country.
• Gravel – Large sand and gravel pits are located here.
• Peat – Peat is harvested here to use in agricultural and water treatment applications.
• Methane gas – The Crow Wing County Landfill recovers methane gas.
• Renewable energy– Local companies are leading the way in renewable energy initiatives.